Followers

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

“How Google Tests Software”… my thoughts…

I have managed to find the time, between all the “hats” I wear, to read 90% of How Google Tests Software.   When I say between all the “hats”, I mean between being a tester, being a mom, being lots of the things that I am and do…   When I say managed to find the time… I gotta admit…  James Whittaker writes well… I realize he did not write the whole book, but his writing keeps me listening to what he is saying… he is really a good story teller to me… he makes me think… he keeps me as an engaged audience member…

I finished the majority of the book today while I was getting my snow tires changed over to summer tires at a local shop…  Most of which I started while waiting for other things… Sometimes you gotta use your “wait time” for things you want/need to catch up on…

Since this book was about Google, I admit I critiqued everything I came in contact with… From the cover design… to what I think were overlooked editing mishaps… I could get into things I found with these, but I won’t…  I found too much to think about…

One thing I have been thinking about, and will continue to think about for some time forward is Attributes>Components>Capabilities… you will have to read the book to find out more… or find a “cheat sheet” elsewhere…

A warning to some things… some of the book points out Google tools, and the fact that they will be available to the masses at some point.  However, I had to look past this and into what there was for me to contemplate -  in my own position… but, maybe these tools are what you might have on your own shopping list in the near future…  so maybe you should read more about them.

I recommend reading this book, thinking about what is being said, and coming to your own conclusions in your own position… and discussing your thoughts among your peers…

I guess I was kind of pre-conditioned to “think” that this was going to be another book on “best practices” (based on my own biases), but I have decided from reading it that it really is about what Google does…  and how they have changed what they did to what they do in order to better serve those involved…

I don’t think this is the Google Bible On Testing… but a work of how they have come to determine what matters the most for where they are currently…  And I have no doubt this will change as they look for more things to improve upon.  I guess I am surprised by my conclusion on this, and surprised at what I read…

I am glad that I bought the book – hard copy, with real pages – and I am glad I have read most of it… I will get to the missed, grayed-out areas in the near future…  I have no doubt there are some interesting nuggets in those areas as well.

3 comments:

Jasminka said...

Hi, wow what a coincidence. I too am in the middle of reading it. Started two days ago. Not done yet. I like the book so far. I don't agree with all he says but it is very interesting to read how other test team work. I want to read as much as possible.

Michele Smith said...

Hi Jasminka,

It is good to read as much as possible and, while we may not always agree with what others do, there is often something to gain from learning about it.

It also is a well written description of how Google does it, and it makes me think - how well could I describe what we do on my project. Thinking about this makes me think about our processes and look for ways to improve what we do.

Happy Reading!

STC Technologies said...

Software testing is a process to determine the quality of the software developed by a developer or programmer.STC Technologies